Wednesday, June 15, 2016

And I thought boxes would be easy to organize

I think there has been a tear in the space/time continuum. The days are speeding by!
So much to organize, so little time :)

What time I haven't spent renovating the warehouse room has been spent trying to figure out stuff like which boxes I need.


At least with gas you only have 3 options!
I never knew there were so many norms and standards. Which FEFCO box meets your needs? Check it out here,

White boxes, brown boxes, long boxes, short boxes. Some you have to glue together, some just need tape. For a little bit more money, you can get ones that you just fold together and tuck in the flap. For a lot more money, you can get your logo printed on it. How many colors? 1/0, 4/0? Pantone, CMYK...

However, the biggest problem so far is finding the right size. You can't just pick any old boxes. You have to find the optimum convergence between product size, box costs and shipping fees. 


Party plates have standard diameter of 23cm. So I need a box that has a base at least 24 x 24 cm. Cups have a diameter of up to 10 cm. So if you want to pack a box with both cups and plates, I need a height of at least 14 cm.

In order to keep shipping costs down for customers, the longest side + shortest side has to be less than 45 cm.

All of a sudden there aren't that many boxes that fulfill these measurements that don't cost an arm and a leg. My dream box would be 30 x 30 x 15 cm. But after browsing more box catalogs than I care to remember, I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that apparently isn't a standard size.


After receiving a custom quote on boxes of that size, I'll have to settle on a sub-optimum size and/or start researching importing a less expensive custom box.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, am really enjoying your posts, which are making me laugh out aloud. Keep your spirits up :)
    Abbey Sews

    ReplyDelete